Reflective Journal

2008

September

October
31
The empathy method opens as an attempt to conceptualize on what empathy means.

November
11
I could certainly do this. The process of getting "something done", and making the "thing", as Heidegger would say, "visible", has been utterly new to me. While dealing with a new country, a new continent, and a new circumstance, for the first month (or so) nothing practical was really happening, except perhaps for a scrap of an idea regarding digital numerals.

Afterwards, (not immediately) I decided to break the huge creative block by getting the appropiate resources to just do some technical junk. An introduction to Flash workshop didn't seem to fulfill the task in its entirety. Taking the camera out and recording crap worked a little better, even editing on Final Cut Pro was a little liberating, while at the same time, recycling my only microcassette on my Dad's old recorder, which he doesn't know I took with me, and recording sounds on the Tube, the bus, wherever. All of this wasn't really getting me anywhere.

Then I discovered letterpress, and a metallic paper. It somehow changed something in me. I wasn't blocked anymore.

I wrote something about the design process which was more of a self therapy session, but nonetheless it was helpful to understand my current position towards my own practice. Eventually, and after the help of my friends, I got to work. Got deeper into the digital systems, tried making connections, and then it hit me. A rough idea for a video concerning violence and how it relates to the empathy method.


23-30
Last week was very important for me in several levels. The "moaning" was finally over, as I got a wonderful guide who sorted it out, and freed me from a burden that had struck me for these past three months. Everything was falling into place (finally).
Within the project as is, both practice and theory were benefiting from what should have had happened two months earlier, a dialog was occurring, and ideas were flowing.

I assisted to a lecture by Neil Cummings, as I was mesmerized to see work I hadn't seen before, work I could identify myself so much with. It was amazing. After the lecture, I did some networking, met some very interesting people and discovered links with people I already know which could be useful for my project was well.

I also did some research at the Royal College of Arts library; I felt this measure had to be taken in order to enjoy pure concentration (the kind I'm having right now without distractions), which was quite successful, to be honest. I could have taken some books out, but I didn't want to risk it. I did get a lot of perspective on what I thought could be frameworks for my project proposal methodology.

Another thing that really worked out for me this last week was getting to see the exhibition "Edge of Arabia" at Brunei Gallery, on Friday. I have to submit an exhibition review contextualized from the first unit of my program's reader, and I was almost going to start on the Annie Leibovitz exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, but after seeing Edge of Arabia, writing about Annie seemed a little vain.
The weekend wasn't as productive as the week days, but after some self torture, music and wine, it wasn't that bad. It's way too cold for me to concentrate.

December


2009

January

February

March

April


May


June

July